The Juice Bar

My muses, thoughts, ideas, and whatever

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The best mascot ever

I have a strange fascination for college mascots. In the novel I am working on, the main character is a college student who moonlights in a dog suit as the Fighting Rottweiler for the fictional Eastern Missouri University. I've never dressed up in fake fur of any kind myself. But, I admire anyone that can allow themselves to get swallowed up in an alternate identity and try to dance in oversized feet and wearing a Stryrofoam or some kind of fabric fashioned into an oversized head with ears that stick out in cockeyed directions.

I must say, that my favorite mascot is this guy. Big Red of Western Kentucky University. I don't know what species it is supposed to represent. Likely he's the offspring of the purple Grimace thing from the old McDonalds commercials, and an alien. You can see him in all his round red glory here
I suspect that's his pose for the mascots swimsuit calendar, but I hope I'm wrong. :)

You can see Big Red in action at this link. Move your mouse over the Big Red icon at the top of the window. He possesses a unique talent, a ravenous appetite, or both.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home